Sunday, November 13, 2016

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

I liked this, but it never connected with me in a deep way. The rare Pulitizer Prize winner for Fiction that is a collection of short stories, I think some f Lahiri's pieces work much better than others. Some of the stories are set in India, others in the U.S. In general, I think the U.S. based stories work best probably because that is the world Lahiri knows better. Women unhappy with their romantic lives is the most common narrative but the stories touch on a number of larges themes. The final story- The Third and Final Continent- was certainly my favorite. It's simple and profound, optimistic but honest.

Recommended if you enjoyed the movie The Namesake, have an interest in immigrant experiences or India. 

No comments:

Post a Comment